Skip to main content

What Should I Do with My Life?

Five years ago, I asked myself the same question. In May 2004, I was floundering between two guys I could not make a life with, trying to find my passion and had applied to graduate programs in library science. To say I was clueless would be an understatement.

I was uncertain of the future and my destination. The only things I was certain of was 1. the graduate program I would enter and 2. I needed to leave New Mexico. Looking back it seems foolish and unplanned but I came out with no regrets.

In September 2003, I visited the public library and checked out the book "What Should I Do with my Life?" It sounds like one of those corny self-help books that is supposed to get your life together in 12 easy chapters, but it's not. Instead, it is more a book about the journey taken before finding the perfect job or the job you love.

The author traveled across the country interviewing people about how they found the perfect job. It has been a long time since I read the book. I have been wanting to read it again for a much needed boost of confidence and gratitude. What I can remember about the book are the stories of people who drifted from one job to the next and finally "by fate" ended up in the job they love.

Being unemployed and job searching has its ups and downs. I try to hold onto the ups and let the downs drift away. The downs are more monetary than anything else. The ups are priceless. Just to list a few: sleeping in, not living by the clock, not living for the weekend, you make your own schedule, time to read, write and watch tv, time to try out that recipe, dressing down or staying in your pajamas if you wish, loads of time wasted on the internet. I am enjoying my time off.

I am not in the same exact place I was five years ago. I have a boyfriend I am making a life with, I know my passions need some polishing, and I am definitely applying for another graduate program. I cannot know my fate but I can point myself in the right direction.

There's nothing you can know that can't be known
Nothing you can see that isn't shown
No where you can be, that isn't where you're meant to be
It's easy

All You Need Is Love - The Beatles

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bump on a Log

Don't be a bump on a log during  National Park Week . Instead, take advantage of waived entrance fees to all 392 national parks by finding a park near you to enjoy America's Great Outdoors. You can search for national parks near you by name, location, activity or by topic at Find a Park  website. Matt and I have spent the last couple weekends hiking through  Shawnee State Park  and one of our favorite Metro Parks  Slate Run . Hence, the picture of the frog at Slate Run that made for a great insert. I took more than a couple pictures of the frog and thanked him for his time. He just stooped in a nonchalant manner during the entire photo shoot. A total professional. Along with National Park Week comes Earth Day  on April 22. Learn more about Earth Day through the United States Environmental Protection Agency website . Take time to not only enjoy the great outdoors this week, but make a commitment to protect the environment.  E...

Indians and Education

The Scout Report -- Volume 14, Number 21 via scout.wisc.edu on 6/2/08 Links of interests compiled on Indians and Education from The Scout Report. I haven't listened to the Sherman Alexie interview, but it is described as "fantastic" which I certainly believe it must be and will be...because it is Sherman Alexie. The Reservation Life: Helga Teiwes Photography website has some beautiful photographs that made me homesick for the Southwest and my family.

Speaks to Your Success as a Librarian

My latest blessing in disguise, as someone said, is that I was not accepted to any of the three PhD programs I applied. I have had many people tell me it is for a reason, it is a blessing, there is a silver lining in my clouds of gray. The one school I was most disappointed with was U-Dub, but it was really "location, location, location" that left my heart a bit bruised. I think a common downfall, if you may call it that, is that I am a successful librarian. I have no aptitude as a researcher that is apparent to the PhD admissions committee. This is more than likely a truth. I have never thought of myself as a methodologically minded person. Perhaps, it is a blessing and not a curse. Only time will tell, but I am counting on a blessing, definitely a blessing. The best news is that I can return to New Mexico without having to worry about a 4-5 year commitment to a PhD program. I can do whatever I please and that might mean being jobless for a good 5-6 months after I leave Indi...