The first notes I heard from the cello were from the theme song of Jaws. An orchestra teacher brought a cello into my 4th grade classroom and I was sold. I wanted to play the cello. If only to play the theme song to Jaws.
I played the cello for nine years. Slowly through high school the joy to play cello left me. It became more of a competition. An act of favoritism between orchestra conductor and pupil. It became more hard work than I could take on at the time. To become first chair or second chair -- took hours of practicing which meant money for a cello tutor. Money I did not have.
I miss playing the cello. I never bought my own cello because I did not have the money to purchase my own. I used to rent my cello for like $25/month or something. The cello I rented was stolen and my mother than had to make monthly payments on a stolen cello. The cello was recovered many years later after I was no longer renting a cello.
In high school we had cellos that students could use throughout the year for no charge. They were not the best quality, but I wanted to relieve my mother of the trouble of monthly cello rental payments. The stolen cello that was eventually returned to us from a pawn shop has a broken bridge and needs new strings. It is also a 3/4 size cello, not 4/4 full size cello that I need.
For the past few years I have told myself I would buy a cello, practice and start to play again for myself. I have told myself this for about three years. I thought I would have the resources and the time once I had a full-time job. But, I did not make the time and I did not save the money to purchase the top of the line instrument I wanted.
To remind myself of my goal and my longing to play again here is a playlist featuring some of my favorite cello songs.
I played the cello for nine years. Slowly through high school the joy to play cello left me. It became more of a competition. An act of favoritism between orchestra conductor and pupil. It became more hard work than I could take on at the time. To become first chair or second chair -- took hours of practicing which meant money for a cello tutor. Money I did not have.
I miss playing the cello. I never bought my own cello because I did not have the money to purchase my own. I used to rent my cello for like $25/month or something. The cello I rented was stolen and my mother than had to make monthly payments on a stolen cello. The cello was recovered many years later after I was no longer renting a cello.
In high school we had cellos that students could use throughout the year for no charge. They were not the best quality, but I wanted to relieve my mother of the trouble of monthly cello rental payments. The stolen cello that was eventually returned to us from a pawn shop has a broken bridge and needs new strings. It is also a 3/4 size cello, not 4/4 full size cello that I need.
For the past few years I have told myself I would buy a cello, practice and start to play again for myself. I have told myself this for about three years. I thought I would have the resources and the time once I had a full-time job. But, I did not make the time and I did not save the money to purchase the top of the line instrument I wanted.
To remind myself of my goal and my longing to play again here is a playlist featuring some of my favorite cello songs.
Comments