Skip to main content

My Netflix Life

I watch Gilmore Girls when life gets too complicated and I need a pick-me-up. I own all seven seasons. Judge if you must but there is something to be appreciated within those heavily loaded sentences of pop culture references that bring me out of my stupor.

My most favorite episodes are those with Jess. Yes, I am a Jess fan. I can also tolerate the Logan years. However, Dean was never a favorite. I hardly ever make it back to season one, which is with Dean, unless it is vital.

Lately, I have been watching Gilmore Girls out of order; backwards actually. I watch one episode which reminds me of a previous episode and so on and so forth. I have a lot of time on my hands. Gilmore Girls is good time-killing activity and while I enjoy watching the girls and the crazily fast and rambunctious dialogue it is always good to try new shows.

Here are just a few of the television series that I have watched recently with the convenient Netflix account:

1. Californication - Matt and I started with watching the first season on instant watch and now we have to get them on DVD for the second season. What a hassle, right? I am a bit spoiled with watching instantly.

2. The Lazy Environmentalist - A well-done show that appeals to the environmentalist in me (and in Matt). It is available to watch instantly, but has only been out one season.

3. The L Word - I'm curious and intrigued with the Hollywood version of lesbians. The show is appealing. It is a lot of beautiful women making out for extended periods of time. The first season is not available to watch instantly, but seasons 2,3,4 and 5 are available.

These are the main ones that I have seen recently and will continue to watch.
Are there any shows you would recommend?

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi, LML. I won't judge you for loving Gilmore Girls, because I'm a long-time, huge GG fan myself. And I too like Jess, because I sympathize with him. I don't think he's a bad kid; just a confused one. And I love how he eventually finds himself in later episodes.

Coincidentally, I have a blog post simmering (to be posted, hopefully today, over at my Gilmore Girls site) inspired by the reruns that have been airing on ABC-Family—I watch them on DVD, though—which feature Jess.

As for recommendations... My top recommendation for a fellow GG fan, if you haven't seen it, is Ally McBeal. Not the same as GG (obviously), but wacky stories with deep characters. I found those episodes addictive, and it's one of my all-time favorite series.

Feel free to become my Netflix friend and check out my ratings. But recently, I've been watching more classic series: The Love Boat (now, don't you judge me <g>), Columbo (which I love because of the character-centric nature of the stories), Family Ties, M*A*S*H (one of my all-time favorites), NewsRadio. I even learned to love Friends (though I didn't rent them from Netflix).

-TimK

Popular posts from this blog

Bump on a Log

Don't be a bump on a log during  National Park Week . Instead, take advantage of waived entrance fees to all 392 national parks by finding a park near you to enjoy America's Great Outdoors. You can search for national parks near you by name, location, activity or by topic at Find a Park  website. Matt and I have spent the last couple weekends hiking through  Shawnee State Park  and one of our favorite Metro Parks  Slate Run . Hence, the picture of the frog at Slate Run that made for a great insert. I took more than a couple pictures of the frog and thanked him for his time. He just stooped in a nonchalant manner during the entire photo shoot. A total professional. Along with National Park Week comes Earth Day  on April 22. Learn more about Earth Day through the United States Environmental Protection Agency website . Take time to not only enjoy the great outdoors this week, but make a commitment to protect the environment.  E...

Indians and Education

The Scout Report -- Volume 14, Number 21 via scout.wisc.edu on 6/2/08 Links of interests compiled on Indians and Education from The Scout Report. I haven't listened to the Sherman Alexie interview, but it is described as "fantastic" which I certainly believe it must be and will be...because it is Sherman Alexie. The Reservation Life: Helga Teiwes Photography website has some beautiful photographs that made me homesick for the Southwest and my family.

Speaks to Your Success as a Librarian

My latest blessing in disguise, as someone said, is that I was not accepted to any of the three PhD programs I applied. I have had many people tell me it is for a reason, it is a blessing, there is a silver lining in my clouds of gray. The one school I was most disappointed with was U-Dub, but it was really "location, location, location" that left my heart a bit bruised. I think a common downfall, if you may call it that, is that I am a successful librarian. I have no aptitude as a researcher that is apparent to the PhD admissions committee. This is more than likely a truth. I have never thought of myself as a methodologically minded person. Perhaps, it is a blessing and not a curse. Only time will tell, but I am counting on a blessing, definitely a blessing. The best news is that I can return to New Mexico without having to worry about a 4-5 year commitment to a PhD program. I can do whatever I please and that might mean being jobless for a good 5-6 months after I leave Indi...